Functional training is a type of exercise that focuses on movements that mimic real-life activities, rather than isolating individual muscles. The use of kettlebells, mace bells, a bench, and bands can provide a full-body functional workout.
Here is a functional training workout plan using this equipment:
Start with a 5-10 minute warm-up to get your heart rate up and your body ready for the workout. You can do some light cardio exercises such as jumping jacks, jogging in place, or using a jump rope.
Circuit 1: Upper Body
- Kettlebell press – 3 sets of 10 reps per arm Hold a kettlebell in one hand and lift it up to your shoulder. Press the weight up overhead, extending your arm fully. Lower the weight back down to your shoulder and repeat for 10 reps on each arm.
- Macebell 360 – 3 sets of 10 reps Hold the mace bell with both hands at the end of the handle. Keep your arms straight and circle the mace bell around your body, rotating through your hips. Perform 10 reps in each direction.
- Band pull-apart – 3 sets of 15 reps Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a resistance band in front of your chest with both hands. Pull the band apart by squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly release and repeat for 15 reps.
Circuit 2: Lower Body
- Kettlebell swing – 3 sets of 20 reps Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a kettlebell with both hands. Hinge at the hips and swing the kettlebell between your legs, then drive your hips forward to swing the kettlebell up to shoulder height. Repeat for 20 reps.
- Bulgarian split squat – 3 sets of 10 reps per leg Stand with your back to a bench and place one foot on the bench behind you. Squat down with your front leg until your thigh is parallel to the ground, then return to standing. Repeat for 10 reps on each leg.
- Band leg curl – 3 sets of 15 reps Lie face down on the ground with a resistance band looped around your ankles. Pull your heels towards your glutes, squeezing your hamstrings. Slowly release and repeat for 15 reps.
Circuit 3: Core
- Kettlebell side bends – 3 sets of 10 reps per side Hold a kettlebell in one hand and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lean to the side with the kettlebell, keeping your arm straight. Return to standing and repeat for 10 reps on each side.
- Bench leg raise – 3 sets of 15 reps Lie on your back with your legs straight and hold onto the bench behind your head. Lift your legs up towards the ceiling, keeping them straight. Slowly lower them back down and repeat for 15 reps.
- Band wood chop – 3 sets of 10 reps per side Attach a resistance band to a stable object at waist height. Stand perpendicular to the band and hold the end with both hands. Pull the band across your body, rotating your torso. Repeat for 10 reps on each side.
Finish with a 5-10 minute cool down, which can include light stretching and foam rolling to aid in recovery.
This functional training workout plan using kettlebells, mace bells, a bench, and bands can provide a full-body workout incorporating strength, cardio, and core exercises. As with any exercise program, it is essential to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning and to adjust the intensity and exercises to suit your fitness level and goals.